Understanding ITIN: A Guide for Foreigners Living Outside the U.S.

The Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN number) is a tax processing number issued by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It’s a vital tool for individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN). This includes non-resident aliens, U.S. resident aliens, and dependents or spouses of U.S. citizens or resident aliens. This guide will walk you through the process of obtaining an ITIN, its benefits, uses, and purposes.

What is an ITIN?

The ITIN number is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, for example, 9XX-7X-XXXX. The IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with U.S. tax laws and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.

How to Obtain an ITIN

1. Complete the IRS Form W-7: The IRS Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is the form used to apply for an ITIN. It’s available for download on the IRS website.

2. Attach a valid federal income tax return: Unless you meet one of the exceptions, you must attach a valid federal income tax return to your Form W-7.

3. Include your proof of identity and foreign status documents: You must include original documentation or certified copies from the issuing agency to prove identity and foreign status.

4. Submit your application: You can submit your completed Form W-7, tax return, and proof of identity documents to the IRS either by mail, at an IRS authorized Acceptance Agent, or at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

Benefits of an ITIN

1. File Tax Returns: The primary purpose of an ITIN is to ensure that people pay taxes even if they don’t have a Social Security number and regardless of their immigrant status.

2. Open a Bank Account: Some U.S. banks may allow individuals to open an account using an ITIN.

3. Apply for a Mortgage Loan: Some lenders accept ITINs for mortgage loans.

Uses and Purposes of an ITIN

The ITIN serves as your identification number for filing your taxes, and it allows the IRS to keep track of your tax obligations. It’s also used for certain tax treaties that may result in a reduction of tax for some non-resident aliens.

While the ITIN is not a work authorization and does not provide immigration status, it is a crucial tool for non-resident aliens and other individuals who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements under U.S. law. Understanding the ITIN, how to obtain it, and its uses can help you navigate the U.S. tax system more efficiently.

At JR & Firm, we specialize in assisting our global clients with their ITIN applications, even from a distance. Our team of experts understands the complexities of the process and is ready to guide you every step of the way.

If you choose to use our services, we can expedite the process by preparing your ITIN application from within the U.S. and submitting it directly to the IRS. This approach is typically faster compared to filing from outside the U.S., helping you get your ITIN in a timely manner.

To get started, simply click the button below to purchase our services. Once your purchase is confirmed, a representative from JR & Firm will reach out to you within 24 hours to gather more information about you and start preparing your ITIN application. We’re here to make the process as smooth and efficient as possible for you.

1. Can a foreigner start a business in the U.S.?

Yes, foreigners can start a business in the U.S. There are no citizenship or residence requirements for owning a business in the U.S.

2. Do I need to live in the U.S. to start a business?

No, you do not need to live in the U.S. to start a business. You can manage your business remotely.

3. What type of visa do I need to start a business in the U.S.?

While you don’t need a visa to start a business, if you plan to relocate to the U.S., you might consider an E-2 Treaty Investor visa or an L-1 Intracompany Transferee visa.

4. Can I start a business in the U.S. with a tourist visa?

While you can’t earn income or work in the U.S. on a tourist visa, you can engage in business activities such as meeting with business associates, attending conferences, or negotiating contracts.

5. What is the best business structure for a foreigner?

The best business structure depends on your specific circumstances, but many foreigners choose to form a Limited Liability Company (LLC) or a Corporation.

6. How can I open a U.S. bank account as a foreigner?

Requirements vary by bank, but generally, you’ll need your passport, U.S. mailing address, and taxpayer identification number (TIN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).

7. Do I need a U.S. address to start a business?

Yes, you’ll need a U.S. address to register your business. You can use a registered agent service if you don’t have a physical address in the U.S.

8. Can I hire employees in the U.S. as a foreign business owner?

Yes, you can hire U.S. employees. You’ll need to comply with all federal and state labor laws.

9. Do I need a U.S. partner to start a business?

No, you don’t need a U.S. partner to start a business. You can own 100% of your company.

10. Can I get a business loan in the U.S. as a foreigner?

It can be challenging as many banks require a credit history in the U.S. However, some lenders offer loans to foreign entrepreneurs.

11. How do I pay taxes for my U.S. business?

You’ll need to obtain an ITIN and file a U.S. tax return. You may also need to pay state and local taxes, depending on where your business is located.

12. Can starting a business help me get a green card?

Starting a business alone won’t automatically grant you a green card. However, significant investment in a U.S. business may qualify you for an EB-5 investor green card, L1A/B or other types of visas available for entrepreneurs.

13. Can I work for my U.S. business while I'm in my home country?

Yes, you can manage and work for your U.S. business remotely from your home country.

14. Do I need a U.S. Social Security number to start a business?

No, you don’t need a U.S. Social Security number. You can use an ITIN instead.

15. Can I sell products in the U.S. while living abroad?

Yes, you can sell products in the U.S. while living abroad. You’ll need to comply with all relevant U.S. laws and regulations.

16. How can I register my business in the U.S. while living abroad?

You can register your business in the U.S. remotely. You’ll need to choose a state for your business, obtain a registered agent in that state, and file the necessary paperwork.

17. What are the tax implications of running a U.S. business from abroad?

You’ll need to pay U.S. taxes on the income your business earns within the U.S. You may also need to pay taxes in your home country. It’s important to consult with a tax professional to understand your obligations.

18. Can I get a U.S. business credit card as a foreigner?

Some U.S. banks offer business credit cards to foreigners. You’ll typically need a U.S. mailing address and taxpayer identification number (TIN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).

19. Can I invest in U.S. real estate through my business?

Yes, your U.S. business can invest in real estate. However, there may be additional tax implications and legal considerations, so it’s important to consult with a professional.

20. Can I relocate to the U.S. through company formation?

As stated above, forming a company in the U.S. doesn’t automatically grant you the right to relocate to the U.S. However, significant investment in a U.S. business may qualify you for an EB-5 investor green card, L1A/B or other types of special visas designed for entrepreneurs. 

21. What is an EB-5 investor green card?

The EB-5 investor green card is a visa for entrepreneurs (and their spouses and unmarried children under 21) who make an investment in a commercial enterprise in the U.S. and plan to create or preserve 10 permanent full-time jobs for qualified U.S. workers.

22. What are the benefits of having a U.S. business for a foreigner living abroad?

Having a U.S. business can give you access to the U.S. market, potential tax benefits, and may make it easier to work with U.S. customers and partners.

23. Can I open a U.S. bank account for my business from abroad?

Some U.S. banks allow foreigners to open a business bank account remotely. You’ll typically need your passport, U.S. mailing address, and taxpayer identification number (TIN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).

24. What is the process for hiring U.S. employees for my business?

You can hire U.S. employees for your business. You’ll need to comply with all federal and state labor laws, and you may need to use a U.S.-based payroll service.

25. Can I visit the U.S. to check on my business?

Yes, you can visit the U.S. to check on your business. You’ll need to obtain a B-1 Business Visitor visa or be eligible for visa-free travel under the Visa Waiver Program.

How to secure a work visa in China?

Explore expert tips on starting a business in China, securing work visas, and navigating company registration with our comprehensive FAQ guide.

Manufacturing in China through OEM or ODM – Which one is best?

Manufacturing in China – OEM or ODM – Access over 3000 Chinese factories, and get expert help in manufacturing, IP protection, and more with JR & Firm.

Important Terminology to Register and Maintain a Company in China

Explore essential terms for registering and maintaining a company in China. Navigate the legal landscape with expert insights and tips.

China Company Registration Made Easy

CHINA COMPANY REGISTRATION – SHANGHAI, 2024: Foreigners can register and own companies in China, known as WFOEs—Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprises. A WFOE is a limited liability company and can be established for various business types. The most common include...

Hong Kong or Singapore – which one is better for company registration and why?

Explore the business advantages of Hong Kong and Singapore for companies dealing with Mainland China, including detailed tax insights and subsidiary management.

How Taxes Work in Hong Kong: A Practical Guide for Entrepreneurs and Businesses

Explore Hong Kong’s business-friendly tax system and how it aids in company formation and growth, especially for operations linked to Mainland China.

Chinese vs Hong Kong Company – Which one is better and why?

Discover the optimal choice for your business: Explore the advantages of setting up a company in Mainland China versus Hong Kong, and unlock the potential for success in the dynamic Asian market. Maximize your opportunities with expert insights on taxation, legal requirements, and market access strategies.

China Company Registration: Frequently Asked Questions for the Year 2023

As we approach 2024, our exploration of the intricacies of China Company Registration is fueled by the numerous FAQs that have shaped our journey throughout 2023. Whether you're navigating corporate compliance, exploring legal procedures, or seeking insights into the...

China Company Registration: How to Choose Company Name for your WFOE?

Unlock the potential of business success in China with expert insights on company registration. Discover key strategies and legal essentials with CEO Jasur Mavlyanov. Navigate Shanghai Silk Road opportunities seamlessly.

How to Get a Chinese Green Card: Shanghai’s New Policy Grants Immediate Green Cards to Expatriate PhD Holders.

Discover Shanghai’s new policy granting instant green cards to expat PhD holders. Breaking immigration barriers for academics. JR & Firm explains.

Jasur Mavlyanov, an experienced entrepreneur and legal expert, has built a notable career in international business, with a focus on China. With over 13 years of experience living and working in China, Mavlyanov has acquired valuable insights into the Chinese legal system and business environment.

As an entrepreneur, Jasur founded JR & Firm LLC, a company dedicated to providing legal services to global clients entering the Chinese market. His leadership has helped the firm become a reliable partner for businesses navigating the complexities of Chinese regulations and laws. READ MORE about Jasur.

error: Content is protected !!